Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A new start (homeless part 4)

(Jacq)

I woke up to the brightly lite white room that smelled of strong chemicals, and cleaning solution. I tried to sit up, but an extreme pain cause me to wince and lay back down.

"Hey. Take it easy there," I turned my head to see Xander sitting in a chair by my bed, a bandage around his chest.

"What happened?" I asked my voice coming out hoarse.

His eyes were red and tears started to flow again, "Jane stabbed you with a dagger in the back," He sniffed, "They said you might not live." He put his head down on my leg letting the sobs come out. I ran a hand through his dirty black hair, and he looked up at me.

"I'm alive," I insisted, "You don't need to cry." I leaned down and kissed him. I could feel the wetness of his tears. He ran his fingers in my tangled hair, and I pulled away but rested my forehead on his. The door opened, and a man in a flannel shirt, casual jeans and wearing glasses walked in. He had blond hair with flecks of gray probably from stress.

"I presume that you are Xander and Jacqueline, am I correct?" He asked

"Yes sir," I replied. Xander sat on the edge of my bed, and the man stood at the food of it.

"My name is Agent Johnson. I work with MI6...."

"I know who you are and where you are from," I said cutting him off, "The question is are you here for something I did or something else I might have done?"

He let out a short laugh and looked at me, "I think it's for both reasons. Do you know where you are?"

I rolled my eyes, "You could dump me anywhere on the planet and I could tell you if I was in a secret area or not."

"They said you were good at combat. I don't think they looked into your academics."

"I've lived on the streets my whole life. All I know I learned from books or computers."

"The reason we need you to come work for us."

"Work? For you?" I looked at him with shock, "What's the catch?"

"We'll pay all fees for a house and food for you and Xander. We want both of you to work for us," He said smiling. I looked over at Xander who nodded continually.

"What about Jane and Mike?" I asked.

"They will not be able to get near you or have any custody over you. Do you accept?"

"Yes."

* * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment